Tribe 5, the fifth alpha release of Ubuntu 7.10 “Gutsy Gibbon” is out. It looks like the last few pieces are coming together:
- GNOME 2.19.90, the latest beta of 2.20
- display-config-gtk, graphical X configuration tool with dual monitor support
- Apt-Enabled Plugin Finder Wizard for Firefox, searches for plugins installable as DEB packages
- Extension Manager integration for Firefox, install extensions with GUI similar to Add/Remove in Ubuntu
- Virtual PDF printer by default
- system-config-printer, a new printer configuration tool
- hal-cups-utils, automatically configures printers when they are plugged in
- cupsys 1.3 series, latest version of CUPS
Automatically configuring printers when they are plugged in is fantastic! There are many new features, particularly Bullet-Proof-X and the restricted manager, which mean that the command line is no longer needed.
Note: This is still an alpha release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released in October 2007.
Here are some screenshots.